Floyd Mayweather vs Marcos Maidana SHOWTIME BOXING:
May 3rd, 2014
****Live Stream: Floyd Mayweather vs Marcos Maidana!!!****
LAS VEGAS — Key facts for the Floyd Mayweather-Marcos Maidana welterweight title unification:
Who: Floyd Mayweather (45-0, 26 KOs), Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA, vs. Marcos Maidana (35-3, 31 KOs), Margarita, Santa Fe, Argentina
What: A 12-round fight to unify Mayweather’s World Boxing Council and Maidana’s World Boxing Association welterweight championships (147 pounds)
When: 11:30 p.m. ET, 8:30 p.m. PT tonight (time approximate)
Where: MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas
TV: Showtime Pay-Per-View, 9 p.m.
• Mayweather makes his third defense of the WBC title he has held since knocking out Victor Ortiz on Sept. 17, 2011. Maidana makes his first defense of the WBA title he won via decision over Adrien Broner last Dec. 14.
• Mayweather has been world champion in five weight divisions, from super featherweight (130 pounds) to junior middleweight (154).
• Maidana previously held the WBA super lightweight title (140) in 2011, which he won via fourth-round knockout of Petr Petrov, but never defended. It was Maidana’s third bid for the same title. In the other two, he lost a 2009 split decision to Andriy Kotelnik and a 2010 unanimous decision to Amir Khan.
• Mayweather is 22-0 (10 KOs) in championship bouts but more than half of those knockouts came when he was 130-pound champion (he was 9-0, 6 KOs) in title bouts at that weight.
• Maidana is 2-2 in championship bouts.
• Referee is Tony Weeks of Nevada, who speaks both English and Spanish and can communicate with both fighters in their native tongues.
• Judges are Dave Moretti, Burt Clements and Michael Pernick.
• Mayweather will earn a guaranteed base purse of $32 million, to Maidana’s $1.5 million.
• Maidana is Mayweather’s third championship opponent from Argentina and second from the province of Santa Fe, along with Carlos Rios (1999). Carlos Baldomir (2006) also is from Argentina.
• By the time Maidana made his professional debut in 2004, Mayweather had won 13 championship fights.
• In 10 fights since he won his first title at welterweight in 2006, against Zab Judah, and including that bout, Mayweather has fought all or part of 110 out of 120 scheduled rounds. Maidana has boxed 169 rounds his entire career.
• In the semi-main, England’s Amir Khan (28-3, 19 KOs), a potential future Mayweather opponent, faces a tough fight against New York’s Luis Collazo (35-5, 18 KOs), in a scheduled 12-rounder. Khan will earn $1.5 million to Collazo’s $350,000. Khan is the former WBA and IBF super lightweight champion. Collazo is former WBA welterweight champion. Referee is Vic Drakulich, with judges Adelaide Byrd, Jerry Roth and Cathy Leonard.
• In the other featured fight, Cincinnati’s Adrien Broner (27-1, 22 KOs) tries to bounce back from his December loss to Maidana in a scheduled 10-rounder against Los Angeles’ Carlos Molina (17-1-1, 7 KOs). Broner, the former WBO super featherweight, WBC lightweight and WBA welterweight champion, is a 25-1 favorite and will earn $1.25 million, to Molina’s $150,000.
• In the opener on the pay-per-view show, Inkster, Mich., native J’Leon Love (17-0, 10 KOs) faces Mexico’s Marco Antonio Periban (20-1-1, 13 KOs), in a 10-round super middleweight bout. Love will earn $100,000, to Periban’s $35,000.
• Promoter of record is Golden Boy Promotions but there is serious friction between company president Oscar De La Hoya and CEO Richard Schaefer, the latter of whom could be leaving the company after this bout, possibly to team up with Mayweather Promotions and/or Mayweather adviser Al Haymon. De La Hoya is expected to appear at the fight and conduct a press conference this afternoon, according to GBP public relations.
TALE OF THE TAPE
• Birthdate: Mayweather Feb. 24, 1977; Maidana July 17, 1983
• Age: Mayweather 37; Maidana 30
• Weight: Mayweather 146; Maidana 146.5
• Height: Mayweather 5-8; Guerrero 5-9
Reach: Mayweather 72″; Maidana 72″
• Chest (normal): Mayweather 38 1/2″; Maidana 36 1/2″
• Chest (expanded): Mayweather 39 1/2; Maidana 38″
• Biceps: Mayweather 12.5″; Maidana 13″
• Forearm: Mayweather 11″; Maidana 10 1/2″
• Waist: Mayweather 31″; Maidana 30″
• Thigh: Mayweather 22″; Maidana 21 1/4″
• Calf: Mayweather 15″; Maidana 14″
• Neck: Mayweather 16 1/2″; Maidana 15 1/2″
• Wrist: Mayweather 7″; Maidana 7″
• Fist: Mayweather 8″; Maidana 10″